The Moo Duk Kwan® provides certification opportunities for Ko Dan Ja rank (4th Dan and up) and Sa Bom level instructor certification in the USA once per year during the week long Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa (Master level rank test).
Classing eligible and/or time eligible members of the United States Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation® who respond to a questionnaire and who are subsequently recommended by Federation Officials are then invited to an annual U.S. Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa where they are joined by other qualified applicants, guests and Alumni.
The U.S. Federation's Ko Dan Ja candidate selection process is briefly outlined below.
- Once per year, all classing eligible and time eligible current U.S. Federation members are identified.
- A letter of notification of their eligibility and a questionnaire are sent to all eligible U.S. Federation members.
- The names of the eligible members who return their completed questionnaire by the deadline are then submitted to various Federation Officials for recommendations.
- Eligible members who receive a majority of positive recommendations from Federation Officials are then sent a formal invitation to test for Ko Dan Ja Rank along with paperwork requirements and event registration materials that must be submitted by the deadline.
- Recommended eligible members are extended an opportunity to, and some may elect to, test at an international Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa.
- All others fulfilling the paperwork and registration requirements are then scheduled to attend and participate in the week long, one per year Ko Dan Ja Shim Sawhere they complete their Ko Dan Ja Rank testing requirements.
- In the U.S., the TAC Chair may also extend an open inviation to all Ko Dan Ja Alumni inviting them to participate in the week long training and Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa experience as visitors.
The history of the US Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa is a long an proud one and since 2000 the Federation has also hosted A Moment With The Masters in conjunction with the 1st weekend of the Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa in order that fellow members have an opportunity to share a few moments with the wave of new KDJ hopefuls and current KDJ leaders participating in the week long Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa experience.
History of the Moment With The Masters
The Moment With the Masters has an interesting history in that it was born out of adversity on a March Friday morning many years ago when Headquarters received a phone call from the Diamond Horseshoe Resort in NY informing us that the facility was closing and would not be hosting the TAC Weekend Seminar scheduled there in May which was only two months away. De ja vu.
In 1998 we had received a similar phone call from the Phoenicia Pathwork Center informing us they were bankrupt and unable to host our upcoming event at their facility. In both instances I just took a deep breath and told myself that from every adversity some corresponding good will inevitably occur... it must... for that is the way of nature, it is the way of "Um" and "Yang." Since that fateful Friday phone call years ago, the Moment With The Master has become one of the Federation's most popular member events and has sold out more than once.
As it turns out, the corresponding good that arose out of an adversity years ago is a unique training opportunity unlike any other available to Federation members.
Since that fateful call years ago the Federtion has continued to host A Moment With The Masters in conjunction with the 1st weekend of the Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa in order that fellow members have an opportunity to share a few moments with the wave of new Ko Dan Ja rank applicants and current Ko Dan Ja leaders and visiting Ko Dan Ja Alumni who are also participating in the week long Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa experience.
Each year the Annual Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa becomes touchable by individual members who are not yet Ko Dan Ja or Ko Dan Ja candidates.
What an opportunity!
For a brief, fleeting moment every Federation member has the opportunity to share a moment with the masters and experience "Oneness" with the most senior practitioners and Ko Dan Ja in the entire US Federation as well as international Ko Dan Ja.
This event is a brief, fleeting moment when every Federation member is given the opportunity to share a moment with some of the most senior practitioners and Ko Dan Ja in the world. Think about it! In a single trip, with one set of travel expenses and only one weekend away from home, you have the unique opportunity to experience so much.
Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan's "Action, Action Action!" philosophy encourages leaders to take action and "lead the way" at every opportunity. The best leaders learn how to recognize opportunities and the Moment With The Masters is a wonderful one that literally calls for action... it calls for attendance. It is calling you.
During the course of this special weekend the current and future leaders of Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan will forge powerful relationships and form indelible memories of the foundation they are creating for the future of Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan worldwide.
Will your best students be there?
Will the leaders of your dojang attend?
Will you be there?
It will be a weekend experience unlike any other and on the Monday after this event, the only proof of its occurrence may very well be the memorable experiences, relationships and photos that you have taken home with you... or not
Moment With Masters Index
|2016||33rd||17th||2016 Moment With The Masters|
|2015||32nd||16th||2015 Moment With The Masters|
|2014||31st||15th||2014 Moment With The Masters|
|2013||30th||14th||2013 Moment With The Masters|
|2012||29th||13th||2012 Moment With The Masters|
|2011||28th||12th||2011 Moment With The Masters|
|2010||27th||11th||2010 Moment With The Masters|
|2009||26th||10th||2009 Moment With The Masters|
|2008||25th||9th||2008 Moment With The Masters|
|2007||24th||8th||2007 Moment With The Masters|
|2006||23rd||7th||2006 Moment With The Masters|
|2005||22nd||6th||2005 Moment With The Masters - 2005 KDJ & MWM Photos|
|2004||21st||5th||2004 Moment With The Masters|
|2003||20th||4th||2003 Moment With The Masters|
|2002||19th||3rd||2002 Moment With The Masters|
|2001||18th||2nd||2001 Moment With The Masters - 2001 KDJ & MWM Photos|
|2000||17th||1st||2000 Moment With The Masters|
Suggested Ko Dan Ja Packing List (before 2017)
Camp Oakbridge is a camp style facility.
Overnight attendees may need to bring different items than day attendees.
- Multiple bunks are arranged in each room.
- Comfortable cabins: Oakbridge has four generous sized cabins all with decks overlooking our beautiful green playing field. Our dormitory style cabins have eight rooms, with built-in bunks, two large bathrooms and sleep 32 guests each.
- Showers are shared.
- Beds are bunk.
- The Federation arranges for each attendee to receive
- bedding linens
- However, if you want additional warmth while sleeping or more towels, then you can bring a sleeping bag your own towels, but they are not necessary.
According to the camp's website:
- Sleeping bag and towels
Clothes that you can get dirty
- Warmer clothes for the evening
- Closed-toed shoes for some of the activities
- At least one pair of long pants for some of the activities
- One nice outfit
- Bathing suit and towel for the pool
- Rain jacket
- Spending money (A Federation facilitator will usually request a tip from participants which is given to the camp staff)
- Calling Card
Suggested 2017 Ko Dan Ja Packing List
- 2-3 Dobahks (Laundry service available)
- Note book/pencil/pens (and/or personal tape recorder)
- Water Bottle Back pack or Tote
- Easy slide-on shoes or sandals
- Lip balm
- Comfortable clothes for the evening Sweat pants /Hoodie
- Walking shoes
- Sunglasses Visor or Cap
- Rain Jacket
- Formal Banquet Outfit Men- Coat/Tie
- Dress shoes (Larger size due to high likelihood of tender swollen feet)
- Dan Pin (if you have one)
- Personal Toiletries
- Athletic tape
- Foot cream Medicine
- Spending money (A Federation facilitator will usually request a tip from participants for venue staff)
- Phone Charger Camera
Log In is required for submitting new FAQ. Click Here